Oh what intense times it has been for many this year! Ahhh who turned up the crazy dial?!?
Life is busy for many, lots of emotional tidal waves moving through, constant lessons being learned and the challenges just keep on rolling in like the pounding waves in the ocean!
BAM CRASH POW!
Some days it can feel like we are living life in a washing machine turned on maximum spin!
I have found that one of the keys to lightening the load during the intense times is to harness some of the ridiculous within.
Let's face it... this life is one big cosmic joke (as I discussed in a previous post here) and the sooner we learn to take life and ourselves less seriously the sooner we can surrender to the sometimes chaotic flow!
So let's laugh till our bellies hurt at the ridiculousness of life!
5 tips to add a touch of the ridiculous and laugh on your intense days.
1. Symbols of ridiculousness - Put a sign/word (play, laugh, joy or ridiculous) on the mirror, your desk or somewhere obvious. Put a funny picture up to remind you of life's playfulness when your head is whirling with self created problems, blah, blah, blah. Allow word or photo to be a trigger to cut through the heaviness and remind you to laugh. I have a dancing hula girl on the dashboard of my car to trigger laugher every time I drive. She is always there with a smile and her wiggling hips to lighten my mood!
2. See the humour in heavy thoughts - Write down all of the negative, worrying and painful thoughts that are circling in your mind. Put on a pair of funny glasses or just pull a funny face as you read them out loud in the mirror. Keep reading them until you can see the ridiculousness and falsity of each. The power of the words/beliefs will lesson if you can see the humour in most of our thoughts. Our freedom to be playful is not just about repeating positive affirmations to ourselves it is also to learn to find humour in the face of heavy thoughts.
3. Create a funny file - Whenever something makes you laugh add it to a file or document on your computer. Whenever you feel life is feeling crazy and overwhelming open the file and have a good laugh. If there is a particular movie or TV series that makes you laugh have it on standby to watch. I used to love watching old episodes of Friends and Seinfeld for my silly fix.
4. Create personality characteurs - play out some of your more stressful patterns as characters in your head. Allow the mental patterns and neurotic behaviours to be played out as a character in your mind so that you can learn to see that we are simply actors within the play of our life. One of my main patterns that I charactered in my mind over the years is "Nervous Nelly" she was the voice in my head that would tell me that I was not good enough and would push me to over achieve, over give, over analyse and strive, strive, strive to be better. When I learned to see her as just a character it was much easier to laugh at her and be playful with her.
5. Wake up to who you are - a daily dose of meditation to keep your eyes on the big picture is the ultimate way to surrender to your humorous and playful nature. Beyond the story of our life is the pure eyes of innocence that eternally see life and all of it's unfoldings as a playful game to be enjoyed.
So go for it lovelies! You have permission to be ridiculous, hilarious, playful, cheeky, silly and laugh your way to peace!
The areas we can easily get serious about are the areas that our mind is strongly identified with outcomes. If you want to lighten things up book in for a session or program to awaken to the playful truth of life.
I'd love to hear what you do in your life when you realise you've been taking things too seriously to laugh it up. Share your wisdom.
Sign up for weekly tips and my FREE Ebook!