Have you ever felt disappointed in how things have turned out in your life circumstances?
Of course you have at some stage or another... you are human right!
We have all felt that heaviness of disappointment when we expected things to turn out differently than they did.
Expectations and disappointment are good friends... they seem to hang out in the same places together. Where there is expectation you will find disappointment lurking just around the corner.
At work, at home, on holidays, in your relationships... you name it, if expectation is present, disappointment will be likely to follow.
I used to get slapped regularly by disappointment. When I was younger I was pretty good at making sure things went my way, but then things started to change.
Life is always working towards humbling us, so as I became committed to truth and awakening, the outcomes began to shift to be different to what I had become accustomed to... different to what I expected!
Ouch-a-rama! The zen stick of life! Whack!
When life didn't meet my expectations the pain of disappointment would slap hard. With each slap I surrendered to life's flow instead of constantly enforcing my own will.
In western culture we are taught to go for what we want and to have strong goals and dreams yet if we are too focused on exerting our will and chasing outcomes all the time, our happiness is always out in front of us... sitting right next to the goal that is somewhere off in the future.
It's exhausting and an endless quest for happiness outside of ourselves. It's like a path paved with disappointment until we reach our goal! When we arrive there is a temporary buzz of achievement then off we go on the path of disappointment again to chase the next goal!
There is another way to live.
A life lived with more trust, surrender and less expectation creates greater harmony and flow with life's rhythm. Ahhh peace!
5 Tips for transforming expectation.
1. Wake up Disappointment is the alarm bell or meditation bell alerting us to be present and to acknowledge what our expectations have been. Ding ding! Allow disappointment to be your teacher that alerts you when you have been attached to a particular outcome and bring your focus back to accepting your present circumstances.
2. Foster curiosity! Be curious to the ways that life moves you. Replace expectation with curiosity. Be curios like a child and allow life to be an adventure, an investigation and a curios experiment of trial and error! Be playful with outcomes rather than taking them so seriously.
3. Trust Trust in the almighty wisdom of life and allow it to flow through you rather than constantly exerting your mental will.
4. Surrender Surrender to life's flow and allow yourself to align with the rhythm of nature. Sometimes when our life appears to be turning upside down, it is actually turning the right way up!
5. Listen. Listen to the whispers of your soul that guide you each step of the way from deep within. Live less in your mind and more in your heart and instincts.
I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below and please share these words with your tribe.