Whips, chains, force and imprisonment! Heeeellllp!
Most forms of slavery have been abolished in the modern world however there is a form of slavery that is still epidemic... dun dun dun... insert dramatic music... the slavery of the mind!
The mind is a powerful tool, however many people are unable to separate themselves from their thoughts, including myself some days!
When we believe most of what our mind tells us we are thus a slave to it's powerful influence.
Imagine the limitation, pressure and distress this would create... chained to insignificance and inadequacy! Blaahhhh!
This is how many people live their lives... a slave to the words and beliefs of the mind.
We can very easily point the finger at others and at life for creating our circumstances but when we take the time to observe our mental patterns we notice that... we are the creators of our own world.
Damn... no-one to blame!
Full responsibility required!
At the core of all of your problems... are limiting beliefs that you falsely identify with.
Do you make time to stop and watch your thoughts?
Are you aware of what thoughts are moving through your head?
How harsh is your mind?
How much do you believe the critical and limiting thoughts that run through your head?
Be honest... these are important questions to ponder and your happiness depends on it.
If you notice that you can be harsh... it is time to put the hammer away!
You have permission to STOP being so hard on yourself! Yes I need to hear this one too!
You have permission to release yourself from your self imposed pressure!
It is time to break free from the mental chains?
It is time to master the mental storms!
I used to be under constant pressure from my mind. It was exhausting! The talk in my head was very critical and harsh. It still can be, but after years of meditating and observing the patterns within my mind I have learnt to turn my focus deeper than the mind.
It can be all blah blah blah on the surface yet the silence that underlies the madness in my mind is dominant. The busy mind, that used to be the noisy foreground, is now mostly in the background like a radio station that I can choose to listen to or filter out.
Instinct, heart and soul lead the way. Phew!
It is natural that when we step into uncharted territories and break out of our comfort zone, the mind gets loud and noisy again and can try to control the situation. O oh here comes a storm! The mind goes nuts aaahhhhh! Ouch these moments can be very unsettling!
We can often feel wind blown, drenched and battered. However these storms are simply opportunities to deepen our surrender to instincts lead and to dive deeper than the chaos on the surface to the peace and trust beneath.
The mental storms are not to be avoided... they are to be mastered!
5 tips to master mental storms
- Embrace the storm – Don't fight or resist a storm. Allow the thoughts to come and go with out trying to stop or control them. Allow them to move through with trust and focus. Breathe!
- Watch the storm – observe the mind and get to know your inner world well. Observe what situations will usually trigger your mind into a storm. Observe the language that your mind will often use in stressful situations. An unobserved mind gets us into trouble! Oops! Be the watcher of the storm!
- Feel the power of a storm – Just like a storm in nature, our mental storms can be cleansing and clearing if we simply sit back, observe, get out of the way and honour it's power! Open your mind to accommodate the fierce storm of thoughts. Breathe!
- Shelter from the storm – Take shelter from the minds battery of insult by finding refuge. Deeper than the minds chaos you can find the warm fire of instinct that will guide your words and actions through a storm, you will find the shelter of your true nature, your shining essence that has never been touched by any storm and remains the silent observer beneath all chaos.
- Dance in the storm – celebrate each storm. celebrate being alive and the natural occurrence of storms especially if your are adventurous and like to explore life's vast territories! Storms are a natural part of life. Don't fight them celebrate them! Let them cleanse your mind. Just like a storm and all of life... all will eventually come to an end.
As usual I'd love to hear your comments below and please share the love with your tribe.